Each year, Arizona Humanities honors individuals, organizations, or businesses for their contribution and advancement of the humanities.
On Sunday, March 25, 2018, the council will award and celebrate the 2018 award recipients at Phoenix Theatre. Congratulations to the 2018 Humanities Awards Recipients
- Liz Warren, Humanities Public Scholar, Dan Shilling Award
- Almira Poudrier, Friend of the Humanities, Juliana Yoder Award
- Dagoberto Bailon, Humanities Rising Star Award
- The Shackelford Family, Community Partner Outstanding Supporter Award
- Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records – Founder’s Community Partner Award
Humanities Rising Star Award
- This newly established award recognizes a young professional, student, or volunteer with outstanding and creative approaches to engaging the public with humanities topics. Considerations will focus on scholarship in the humanities, service to the humanities, the enhancement of public understanding of the humanities and other humanities-related endeavors.
Juliana Yoder Friend of the Humanities Award
- This award recognizes individuals, organizations or businesses that have made a lasting contribution to the cultural life of their communities through their active support of and involvement in promoting the humanities. The award recognizes the dedication and contribution of Juliana Yoder during her 21 years of service to the Arizona Humanities, including her service as Associate Director from 1995 to 2005 and then as Executive Director from 2005 to 2008.
Dan Shilling Public Humanities Scholar Award
- This award recognizes a humanities scholar who has distinguished him/herself by enhancing public understanding of the role that the humanities play in transforming lives and strengthening communities. The award honors Dan Shilling’s many years and contributions as AH’s executive director from March 1984 to December 2003. The Arizona Humanities Board established the award to mark Dan’s legacy, reflect the esteem in which he is held, and recognize Dan’s own respect for scholarship.