SOCIAL MEDIA INTERN
Want to make a lasting impact on a nonprofit cultural organization? We’re looking for a social media intern (paid!) to help us deepen our social media presence across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
This position is perfect for a junior or senior college-level student in a communications, PR, digital, marketing or social media degree or specialization or a communications professional looking for a flexible and engaging side gig.
ABOUT THE FEDERATION OF STATE HUMANITIES COUNCILS: As a nonprofit and membership organization, the Federation of State Humanities Councils is dedicated to serving and strengthening its membership through information collection, sharing, advocacy, and more. Our members are the nation’s state and jurisdictional humanities councils – one in each state, U.S. territory, and in D.C. who serve their communities – urban, rural, veteran, educators and students, families, immigrants, Native and Indigenous, BIPOC, and more – through public humanities programs that bring people together to learn, listen, discuss, and understand the contexts, histories, stories, lived experiences, and relevant issues to our communities.
Part Time: 10 hours a week, schedule is flexible – please come ready to discuss your availability and needs during the interview process. Reports to the Strategic Communications Project Director; Agreement runs through August with a potential for extension.
Rate: $18.00 to $20.00 an hour, based on experience
PLANNING & PRODUCTION
- Assist Federation communications team in identifying and developing content for each social media handle: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn
- Develop annual social media content calendars for all Federation activities and events in collaboration with the Strategic Communications Project Director
- Determine and create graphics that can be re-used or re-purposed throughout the year across the Federation’s social media handles (CANVA)
- Research, identify and recommend strategies to increase engagement and followers across all Federation social media channels
- Implement strategic changes to Federation’s social media strategy in consultation with Strategic Communications Project Director
- Use Loomly to draft, submit for approval, and schedule social media posts across channels
MONITORING & RESPONSE
- Monitor social media handles for comments and flag response opportunities
- Monitor partner and member social media channels and propose interaction opportunities
PROTOCOLS & PRESENTATIONS
- Develop a social media protocol and guide to support social media development and growth
- Prepare and present a training for Federation staff on how to support and use the Federation’s Loomly account
INTERESTED CANDIDATES SHOULD:
- Have (or be building through coursework) knowledge of social media campaigns, content, strategies and channels, particularly Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn
- Be passionate about using social media to connect and drive engagement and awareness
- Have knowledge in or a willingness to research social media best practices and engagement strategies for a nonprofit cultural organization
- Exhibit a commitment to the Federation’s mission and guiding principles
- Have strong organizational, communication – verbal and written, and time management skills with high attention to detail
- Be able to work well in a virtual team environment
- Have interest in working in the nonprofit, cultural sector
The Federation does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors.
Interested candidates, send a cover letter and resume. For questions concerning this position, please email email@example.com. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted through Wednesday, May 12th, 2021. Interviews with qualified candidates will begin the third week of May. The anticipated start date for this position is in early June 2021.