The council provides teaching materials, including curriculum guides created by Idaho teachers during the council’s summer teacher institutes.
Publications are free to Idaho teachers; however, teachers are asked to cover the cost of postage via Media Mail. Some publications are oversized and require special packaging.
Current guides include:
- Amerikanuak! Basques in the High Desert
- Published by the council, this illustrated booklet presents a number of essays and historic photographs giving a portrait of the Basque experience in the American West. Topics include: Who are the Basques? Basque Sheepherding, Translating the Culture, Basque Boardinghouse, and more.
- Idaho and the American West Curriculum Guide
- Published by the council, teachers at the 1998 teacher institute developed this supplement guide to teacher Idaho history. It provides lessons such as: Journey to Idaho, Preserving our Heritage, Gulliver’s Walks Across Idaho, The Great Seal of Idaho Game, My Town Oral History Project, Idaho History Facts and Trivia and Map Races.
- Tough Paradise: The Literature of Idaho and the Intermountain West (Large tabloid)
- Published by the council, this tabloid offers an overview of the literature of Idaho and the American West. Essays invite readers to consider further reading and a brief bibliography of additional readings, suggested by the writers of these essays, is included on the last page.
- Tough Paradise Curriculum Guide
- Published by the council in 2001, this was also developed at the Teacher Institute and includes lessons such as: Idaho Indian Research Project, Colorful Characters of Fremont County, Discovering Me in the New West, Town Poetry, and Everyone has a Story
- Paradox Politics: Idaho Political History Since WWII
- Published by the council and a result of the 2002 summer teacher institute, the guide is based on unit questions from We The People: The Citizen and the Constitution (a publication of the Center for Civic Reflection)
- Raices Culturales: Cultural Roots, A Model for Integrating Folklife in the Classroom
- Published by the council in collaboration with the Idaho Commission on the Arts and the Idaho State Historical Society in 2002, this guide is also a result of the summer teacher institute program. Topics include: Basque Music, Latin American Literature, and Working in the Payette, Idaho Area