Literature & Medicine: Humanities at the Heart of Healthcare is a national award-winning reading and discussion program for healthcare professionals that, as one participant wrote, “renews the heart and soul of healthcare.” These discussions have helped healthcare professionals across the country improve their communication and interpersonal skills while increasing their cultural awareness, empathy for patients, and job satisfaction.
The council uses literature to give healthcare workers the opportunity to see through another person’s eyes while the group discussion format helps break down the hierarchies among doctors, nurses, and administrative staff in the hospital that can sometime impede care.
The following institutions are participating in 2017:
- Morristown Medical Center, Morristown
- Mountainside Hospital, Montclair
- Overlook Hospital, Summit
- Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, Newark
- Daughters of Israel, West Orange
- Bristol Glen, Newton
- Genesis Healthcare, Westfield
- Newton Medical Center, Newton