Hometown Teams: How Sports Shape America toured six sites in North Carolina throughout 2015. The exhibit offered rural communities in North Carolina the opportunity to understand the value of sports in history ranging from ancient Cherokee Indians with anetso, the ancestor of modern day lacrosse to current day professional teams such as the Carolina Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes. The aim of the exhibitions was to educate, celebrate, and highlight how sports can alter community development and create discussion and change throughout history.
The six sites included:
- Mount Airy Museum of Regional History, Mount Airy
- Wake Forest Historical Museum, Wake Forest
- Waterworks Visual Arts Center, Salisbury
- Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center, Harkers Island
- Translyvania County Library, Brevard
- Iredell County Public Library, Statesville