The Federation of State Humanities Councils (FSHC), the national membership association of the 56 state and territorial humanities councils, seeks a team-oriented individual to fill the position of Communications & Events Coordinator. The primary functions of the Federation are to promote the work of the councils to Congress, partners, and the public, facilitate information exchange among councils, and increase resources available to the councils through partnerships and special projects. The Communications & Events Coordinator will be a part of a small, flexible, and collegial staff committed to serving the councils. This is an entry-level, full-time position with benefits.
Please note: some travel to meetings and events, such as to the annual National Humanities Conference and various committee meetings, is required. Travel duration ranges from 2-6 days, a few times a year.
The Communications and Events Coordinator will serve as a support to all staff, but will primarily report to the Directors of Communications and Events on a day-to-day basis. The President oversees all employees as manager. Additional activities may include the following.
- Propose, draft, and edit content for social media, newsletters, announcements, and releases
- Create graphics for meetings, social media, website, and mobile app
- Monitor and keep abreast of council programs, updates, and industry news that affect the membership; maintain database of council programs and grants to identify key themes, initiatives, and partnerships
- Initiate and maintain monthly activity summaries for team projects; provide quarterly report
- Accurately report meetings through minutes and summaries
- Maintain communications and events contact lists
- Manage newsletter and listserv subscriptions; assist in testing and uploading content to online platform
- Support communications onsite event activities, including live stream, photography, etc.
- Serve as an FSHC onsite representative at events, including the National Humanities Conference
- Develop and compile event materials; coordinate all printing and shipping of materials
- Manage online calendar of important dates and membership events and deadlines
- Assist Director of Events in board and committee meetings, conference, and advocacy events. Activities include: BEOs, event surveys and registration, and restaurant and hotel reservation assistance
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) – preferred, not required
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or a related field
- Knowledge of various social media and survey tools a plus
- Excellent writing and reading comprehension skills
- Comfort with Excel and creating and maintaining spreadsheets
- High attention to detail with a keen sense of time and task management
- Ability to work independently
Please submit a resume and cover letter by July 6, 2017.