Amerika Samoa Humanities Council

Our Mission

To promote understanding and appreciation of the humanities in American Samoa so that our people can live in peace and harmony.

About Us

The Amerika Samoa Humanities Council was established in 1994 as the 56th state humanities council. Our work is carried out in support of community programs that promote understanding and appreciation of history, philosophy, languages, linguistics, literature, archaeology, jurisprudence, ethics, comparative religion, art, and those aspects of the social sciences that employ historical or philosophical approaches. Two major functions of our work are: 1) to award grants that support community initiated projects, and 2) to promote or conduct programs of our own design. The Amerika Samoa Humanities Council is governed by a board of directors that consists of academic and public members. The public nominates 75 percent of our board and the other 25 percent is appointed by the Governor.

 

Related Programs

Related News

Schwartz Prize: Call for 2016 Nominations
Schwartz Prize: Call for 2016 Nominations
June 28, 2016

Calling all outstanding public humanities programs! The Federation is now accepting nominations for the 2016 Schwartz Prize. Submission deadline is August 17, 2016.

Thousands of Students Present Historical Research Projects at 2016 National History Day - Winners Announced!
Thousands of Students Present Historical Research Projects at 2016 National History Day - Winners Announced!
June 16, 2016

State humanities councils, FSHC, and other humanities organizations come together to support National History Day – a program that brings students together, in a friendly history competition, from around the world.

FY2014 Income Survey Results
FY2014 Income Survey Results
March 8, 2016

Based on audited information supplied by councils, the income survey report provides valuable information about the sources of council support each year, as well as funding trends over time.

Registration Now Open for Humanities on the Hill 2016
Registration Now Open for Humanities on the Hill 2016
January 13, 2016

Learn more about Humanities on the Hill, including how to register, hotel and travel information, and the schedule.

Grants

ASHC supports the humanities through a competitive regrant process.   Applicants may select from one of the following grant program;  1)Mini Grant Program, 2)Major Grant Program,  3)Development and Planning Grant, and 4)the Resource Center Grant.  The Program Guideline will assist you with additional information.

Non-profit organizations are eligible to apply. You need not be a 501C(3) non-profit to apply. Individuals are not eligible.  The community is encourage to utilize  innovative and creative project formats. Make learning a lifetime endeavor that will guide us to a properous and thriving community for tomorrow.

These grant programs must always show support of ASHC’s Mission, which is “to promote understanding and appreciation of the humanities in American Samoa so that our people can live in peace and harmony.” Program design should also focus on the program theme for each year.  Projects, which further this mission, may be structured in a variety of ways: conferences, lectures, group discussions, field trips, book discussions, exhibition, modest publications, and interpretation of performances. Support is also available for projects that may not have a direct public concentration, but which can demonstrate an obvious benefit for the people of American Samoa. For example, oral histories, teacher seminars, and in service programs.